CALABASAS CA HOMES FOR SALE

JUST LISTED CALABASAS CA HOMES FOR SALE

Calabasas Community Information


Calabasas Restaurants

Corner Bakery | (818) 876-7340

corner-bakery-logo-115x115-transWe started as a little bread bakery, supplying freshly baked bread to happy customers around town. People loved our breads so much, we couldn’t help but evolve into a cafe where we could serve equally remarkable sandwiches. This, of course, led to delightful sweets, savory panini, fresh salads, and hearty bowls of soups and pasta.

Before we knew it, we were a neighborhood favorite in communities all over—a place to find a warm welcome. Where people can gather with friends or hide out on their own. A place where fresh, innovative food is served up with unsurpassed quality and consistency by passionate employees. A place still dedicated to keeping our neighbors, friends and guests happy, in their special little Corner of the world.

King’s Fish House at The Commons at Calabasas | (818) 225-1979

kings-fish-logo-115x130-transKing’s Fish House, seafood restaurants located throughout California: Long Beach, Laguna Hills, Orange, Calabasas and San Diego. Quality food and service at a reasonable price. We pride ourselves on the highest quality fresh fish. Eat more fish!

Click Here for Calabasas Restaurants Located in the Commons

Calabasas Farmers Market

Calabasas Farmers MarketEvery Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., rain or shine, residents and visitors flock to Old Town Calabasas where a weekly farmers’ market replaces the old general store. Local vendors bring their fresh and exotic fruits, vegetables, flowers, baked goods and prepared foods to go.

 


Click here to browse all Calabasas Businesses and Resources for our residents


Award Winning Area Schools

Calabasas is part of the Las Virgenes Unified School District. This is one of the most coveted and desirable school districts in Los Angeles County. The district has nine elementary schools, three middle schools, and two high schools as well as a preschool and the Mariposa School of Global Education in Agoura Hills.Calabasas Schools

The school district stretches from the border of Thousand Oaks to Mulholland Drive and north into Bell Canyon and south to Monte Nido. Calabasas is also part of the school district as well as Hidden Hills.

Within the Calabasas area is the Lupin Hill Elementary school, the Round Meadow elementary school, the Bay Laurel Elementary school, and the Chaparral Elementary school. The Alice C Stelle middle school the Calabasas high school, the Wright middle school and the Indian Hills high school are also within Calabasas. Indian Hills and A.E. Wright middle school are located on Las Virgenes Road south of the Ventura Freeway on the border of Agoura Hills. The Stelle middle school and the Calabasas high school are located on the east side of town along Mulholland highway.

Calabasas schools received a 9 out of 10 city rating with the Round Meadow elementary school receiving the top score. The Bay Laurel Elementary school received a 9 as did the Arthur E Wright middle school and Alice C Stelle middle school.

LVUSD Mission:
It is the mission of the Educational Services Department to support universal student achievement in all academic areas, which will ensure successful learners who are prepared for the world of higher education and work in the 21st century.  [source]

Middle Schools

A.C. Stelle | A.E. Wright

Elementary

Bay Laurel | Round Meadow | Chapparal | Lupin Hill

Private Schools

Oaks Christian (6-12) | Viewpoint (K-12) | Calmont (PK-9) | Louisville High School

Las Virgenes Unified School District (Click Here)

For more information on the Calabasas Schools, please give us a call. You can also check which school you would be assigned to here.  If you are looking for a home in a particular zone, contact us today for a complete list that matches your search and price. Feel free to browse listings below as well.


The Commons Calabasas

The Commons is a center in Calabasas perfect for a night out with the family. Within the Commons center there are multiple restaurants and eating areas such as Pick up Stix, Sunlife, Sugarfish, and Johnny Rockets, plenty of shops to go shopping including lulu lemon, Ralph’s and Rite Aid, and even a movie theater. The Commons is the perfect place to go in  the Calabasas community when in need of entertainment!


Calabasas Tennis and Swim Center

The tennis and swim center is located right near the Commons of Calabasas and is the perfect place to go with kids when wanting to go swimming on a hot day or when your in the mood to go play some tennis! It also holds a gym where you can go workout. There are many camps associated with the tennis and swim center, especially in the summer when you can do tennis camp. There is a food shack and a small outside arcade area.

www.calabasastsc.com

Click here to browse all Calabasas Businesses and Resources for our residents

[acx_slideshow name=”TheCommonsGallery”]


 

Calabasas Tennis and Swim Center

The Calabasas Tennis and Swim Center has been referred to as the “crown jewel” of the City of Calabasas for the many programs and amenities it offers to the Calabasas community. Built in 1969 as a private club, the Tennis and Swim Center was purchased in 1994 by the City of Calabasas. The Center functions under the Community Services Department with oversight by the Parks, Recreation and Education Commission with approval from the City Council.

Calabasas Tennis and Swim Center

The tennis and swim center is located right near the Commons of Calabasas and is the perfect place to go with kids when wanting to go swimming on a hot day or when your in the mood to go play some tennis! It also holds a gym where you can go workout. There are many camps associated with the tennis and swim center, especially in the summer when you can do tennis camp. There is a food shack and a small outside arcade area.

www.calabasastsc.com

 


 

Utilities:

Southern California Edison
www.sce.com

Las Virgenes Water District
www.lvmwd.com

Gas
www.socalgas.com

Waste Disposal:

Waste Managment, Inc
www.wm.com/products-and-services/waste-disposal/

Recology Losangeles.com
www.recologylosangeles.com

 


Places to Stay:

Hilton Garden In, Calabasas, CAHilton Garden Inn Calabasas

The elegant Hilton located in Calabasas is perfect for short or extended stays. Thirty minutes from LAX airport, it is situated under the Santa Monica Mountains close to many boutiques and restaurants including The Commons, Calabasas Tennis and Swim Center, and Old Town Calabasas, The Leonis Adobe and Malibu Creek State Park. This hotel also includes a 24- hour business center with complimentary Wifi access throughout the hotel, a fitness center, pool and whirlpool, and great rooms that can fit up to 100 guests. For dining, The Great American Grill serves cooked-to-order breakfast and the Pavilion Lounge serves snacks and drinks to unwind after a long, productive day.

Anza, Calabasas, CAThe Anza Hotel Calabasas

The contemporary Anza is situated in Old Town Calabasas with 122 spacious rooms and suites. The hotel offers a fitness center, 24- hour business center and marketplace with complimentary wifi throughout the hotel, heated outdoor pool with cabanas and lounge seating, and a valet dry cleaning. As for dining, Graze Bistro and Bar serves snacks and drinks. Pets are welcome.


History of Calabasas Community

Indians, explorers, squatters, and bandits are all part of Calabasas community history. The Chumash Indians led a peaceful life amidst the rolling hills, making their homes in canyons where streams and springs ensured a plentiful supply of wildlife.

History of Calabasas CommunityAcorns from the massive old oak trees that thrive in the area formed an important part of their diet. Some of the oaks in Calabasas may be 500-700 years-old today.

Settlements of Chumash Indians named the area Calabasas, a word perhaps descended from the Indian word for “where the wild geese fly.” Others think Calabasas comes from the Spanish word for pumpkin or wild gourd.

Spanish expeditions in the 1700’s forever changed the Indians’ way of life. The Diary of Miguel Costanso, which documents the Portola expeditions in 1769-1770, refers to encounters with the Chumash in the area. Six years later, the Juan de Anza party camped just west of Calabasas.

Read more…

El Scorpion, or El Escorpion, a ranch that once occupied a large tract in the west Valley, was granted to three Indians in Calabasas in the 1830’s. About 25 years later, Miguel Leonis, the Basque “King of Calabasas” acquired the ranch and 1100 acres by his marriage to Espiritu, an Indian who had inherited the property from her father.

Leonis was often in trouble with the law, hiring gunmen to expand his lands, bribing witnesses and threatening nearby Calabasas Community History settlers. He was killed in 1889 when he fell from his wagon after removing a band of squatters from his property. Squatter wars and gun fights were a bloody part of Calabasas history. “Inhabitants killed each other off so steadily that a human face is a rarity,” wrote Horace Bell in his book on the old west coast.

When large ranches were divided into farms in the late 1800’s, families of settlers struggled against poverty and drought. In her book, “Calabasas Girls,” Catherine Mulholland brings the era to life with photographs and letters of her ancestors, the Ijams. When water and power came to Owensmouth (Canoga Park), they were happy to leave the difficult life of Calabasas pioneers.

After the turn of the century, several select spots in the Calabasas area developed into weekend respites from the city. Crater Camp in Monte Nido was opened in 1914 as a year-round picnic ground. There are few reminders of the camp today on the site of Malibu Meadows.

The Stunt family developed a homestead on the north slope of Saddle Peak, also in the Monte Nido area. A favorite spot for filming motion pictures, the scenery was ideal for Hollywood. Scenes from such films as Tarzan, The Adventures of Robin Hood, and Stalag 17 were shot in this area, today known as Malibu Creek State Park. Circa 1863, an adobe which was built near the park by a settler named Sepulveda for his wife and 12 children, is now in the process of restoration.

On the north side of Calabasas Road is L.A. Historical Cultural Monument Number One, the Leonis Adobe. When Leonis renovated it in the 1870’s, he enlarged it extensively and remodeled it into a Monterey-style house. He and Espiritu made it their home.The recent history of the adobe is one of struggles to save both it and its grounds from destruction. In the 1960’s, the threat of razing the adobe to build a supermarket led Kathleen Beachy to purchase the property. Toady, it is a superb monument to a bygone era, with meticulously maintained furnishings and grounds, and serves as an anchor in the Calabasas Community for Old Town Calabasas.

Around 1983, the Plummer House, once the oldest home in West Hollywood, was moved next to the Leonis property. As a young boy, Senor Plummer had visited his neighbors in the Leonis Adobe. The building has been beautifully restored and both the adobe and Plummer House are open for tours.

What is now the Sagebrush Cantina was originally a group of small stores built by Lester Agoure, Sr. in the early 1920’s. The parking lot once was the local jail. Outside was the famous hanging tree, dead, but still standing today. It is the identifying logo of the Calabasas Chamber of Commerce.

Sagebrush CantinaLack of water in the Calabasas community area was always a major concern. With the founding of the Las Virgenes Municipal Water District in 1958, a water supply was assured, and the area began its development boom.

The first subdivision in Calabasas, called Park Moderne (in Mulwood near Calabasas High School), was a retreat for artists, craftsmen, and writers. It was built on land traded off as part of Sam Cooper Jr.’s homestead in 1928.

The first Calabasas high school was built in 1880 on the south side of Calabasas Road. A second school, built on the same site in 1924-1925, was a one-teacher school for the area until 1948, when it joined with Liberty, Cornell, and Las Virgenes to form the Las Virgenes Unified School District. The former Pelican’s Retreat retains a small portion of the second school building.

A walk on Calabasas Road in the historic Old Town, takes one past several old buildings. The first, west of the Motion Picture Home, was originally a two-story pioneer store and dwelling owned by Charles and Alice Cooper. Called “Hunter’s Inn,” it provided rooms for hunters and travelers. After Charles died, his widow married Lawrence Kramer and together they operated a store until his retiring in 1968.

The next building, walking west, is a rebuilt replica of a garage built in 1921 and owned by the Daic brothers. Operated by Joseph, Charles, and Al Daic, descendants of homesteaders, it was originally a two-pump station. It became a popular movie backdrop in the early 1980’s. The Daic brothers built a smaller building next door to the garage, where Gaetano’s is now located. A Touch of Class was the residence of Theresa Thilmony, an early beloved school teacher.

The Leonis Plaza was at one time the site of many small buildings constructed in the 1920’s. They were shops for artisans, and one was the home of the Las Virgenes Enterprise. This had formerly been a blacksmith shop belonging to Juan Menendez, the son of Espiritu.

Information on the history of Calabasas area is available at the Kathleen Beachy Memorial Library at Pierce College. Established and maintained by the Calabasas Historical Society, the library is available to researchers.

Further reading


History of Hidden Hills

Two oak trees on a long dirt road with the rolling hills alongside. This was all one would see early in 1950 when A.E. Hanson (who also developed the community of Rolling Hills on the Palos Verdes peninsula) began his development of Hidden Hills.

In 1950, a large sign on Ventura Boulevard at the intersection of Long Valley Road announced:

1000 Acres of Elbow Room
Live in
HIDDEN HILLS
Where Living Is Fun!
Full Acre Lots $4750

The “1000 acres” were composed of the following purchases: 1) in 1949, 700 acres acquired from E.E. Hurlbutt; 2) in 1950, 160 acres purchased from Nace, et al; 20 acres from Mrs. Lasher; 119 acres from the Straubinger family; and 5.6 acres from Spinks — a total of 1004.6 acres.

Two model homes were built in 1950 — 23704 Long Valley Road and 23629 Long Valley Road. The latter was the first house purchased. Leo Gorcy, one of the Dead End Kids of movie fame, bought it for $35,000.

Read more…

Ever wonder where the street names came from? Long Valley and Round Meadow because that’s what they looked like — a long valley which turned into a round meadow. Lasher Road was named because the Lasher home was on that road. One field was covered with six-foot-high mustard and was a gathering place for red-winged blackbirds, thus Wingfield Road. According to A.E. Hanson, his children read books about early Western American explorers and trappers, so the roads in the Round Meadow area were named for these trailblazers, in hopes that future generations of children in Hidden Hills would become interested in the history of the American West from 1805 to 1830.

Lamond Chamberlain became the second major developer of Hidden Hills in 1956. A.E. Hanson turned over his declarant’s rights and his fee ownership of certain properties to the Hidden Hills Community Association, including the pool property on Long Valley, the bus stop property at Jed Smith and Round Meadow, Long Valley Road itself, and the front gate house. He then sold his undeveloped land to Hidden Hills Estates, Inc., Lamond Chamberlain being the president and Ruby Chamberlain the secretary.

By 1957, the cost of a three- or four-bedroom home on a one-acre site was $27,500 – $47,500. One- to five-acre homesites were selling for $7,950 – $12,500.

In October of 1958, Alice Stelle and Eleanor DeCarteret started a monthly newspaper, the “Las Virgenes Enterprise.” In 1963, it started weekly publication. Alice and Eleanor later sold the paper, but it is still published today.

Hidden Hills HistoryIn the summer of 1959, six-year-old Deborah Williams said, “Wouldn’t it be fun if we could sit on our ponies and horses for church?” and thus originated the “Church on Horseback.” It was truly an outdoor devotional worship service, and was a wonderful experience for those of all ages who loved the great outdoors and horses. Families arrived not only on ponies and horses, but also on donkeys, in buggies, and in surreys — yes, with the fringe on top.

In the spring of 1961, civic leaders in the tiny community of Hidden Hills launched a drive to form a city. They were faced with the prospect of being annexed to the City of Los Angeles and having Burbank Boulevard extended through the community. The petition for cityhood was signed by 79% of the voters, and in spite of the fact that the Los Angeles City Council’s Planning Committee opposed the incorporation, it was approved by the Board of Supervisors. September 19, 1961 was designated as election day, when a total of 358 votes were cast for incorporation (83% of registered voters), with 71 votes against. The area of the new city was approximately 1.3 square miles, with a population of a little over 1,000 and an assessed valuation of $2,681,910. On October 19, 1961, Hidden Hills became the 73rd city in the County.

On election day, the voters also elected their first five Council Members from 13 candidates: attorney John R. Hansen, Jr. (284 votes); products distributor George E. Hartstone (251 votes), who became the first Mayor; electronics foreman Louis K. Knue (207 votes); physicist William A. Snyder (197 votes); and engineer Robert C. Malneritch (194 votes).

On August 21, 1962, the Hidden Hills City Council adopted its first budget of $18,088 at its first meeting in the Administration Building at the Hidden Hills Swim Club at 24549 Long Valley Road. Previously, the first City Clerk, Eileen Henry, had an office at the Hidden Hills Mutual Water Company in Calabasas and Council meetings were held in Mayor George Hartstone’s living room. The main expenditure of this first budget was $13,125 for the L.A. County Sheriff, with a total of $3,000 for the salaries of the City Clerk and City Attorney, both of whom were part-time employees. Income sources included $8,500 from the State for “in lieu” taxes; $8,000 in property taxes; $1,000 from building permits; and $250 from the Calabasas Justice Court fines and forfeitures.

The first Fiesta was held on October 20, 1962, to celebrate the first anniversary of the City’s incorporation on October 19, 1961. Monte Montana, Jr. was the first Grand Marshal of the parade that started at noon on Long Valley at Oakfield. Other activities included a horse show, with a roping exhibition by Monte Montana; a barbeque dinner; and a teen dance and entertainment, recruited from local talent. The annual Fiesta celebration has continued over the years, growing into a huge party and gathering of neighbors honoring the birth of this unique little city.

Further reading

A Resource List for Those Living in and Around Calabasas California

Sushi